Background and History
Promoted by Jain brothers Mr. Ganesh Jain and Mr. Ratan Jain. Venus Commenced the business of manufacturing Cassettes during the early 80′s under the banner of Venus Records & Tapes Mfg Co. On 23rd September 1988, Venus Records & Tapes Private Limited was incorporated as a platform to enter into entertainment business at corporate level. Later, the company soon thereafter plunged into the other arenas of the entertainment business besides Music, like Film Production, Film Distribution & Presentation, Overseas & Satellite distribution. With effect from 18th April 2011, the Company was renamed as Venus Worldwide Entertainment Private Limited.
Major Business Segments
A. Music Rights – Acquisition :
- Acquiring and Creation of Audio and Video Rights of Movies and Non-Movies Music
- Exploitation of Audio/Video Rights by way of sale of CDs, VCDs, DVDs etc
B. Bollywood Films – Production & Presentation
- Home Production and Presentation of Bollywood Movies.
- Co-Production and Presentation of Bollywood Movies
C. Film Rights – Acquisition & Distribution : (in India & Abroad)
- Distribution of Movies through Theatres, Television & other media in Indian Market.
- Distribution of Movies through Theatres, Television & other media in Overseas Market..
D. Digital Initiatives – Mobile and Internet :
- Worldwide Digital Distribution of Audio, Video and Movies library in Digital format.
An Envious Music & Film Library Owned by Venus
Venus owns and controls copyrights of an envious and huge catalogue in Indian Films and music, which consists of the following:
1. Perpetual Music Rights Library
- Audio Music from more than 380 Bollywood films,
- Audio Music from more than 400 films in Indian Regional Languages,
- More than 3000 basic titles in devotional music, in Hindi, and many other languages such as Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bhojpuri, Rajasthani, Bengali, Telugu, Oriya, Muslim Devotional and so on.
- Video Rights of more than 300 Non-Film albums.
- More than 500 basic titles in programs such as classical, regional, folks, Ghazals, Qawallis, Dialogues, Jokes, Rhymes, Instrumentals etc., in Hindi, and many other languages such as Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bhojpuri, Rajasthani, Bengali, Telugu, Oriya, and so on.
2. Movie Rights Library
- Its Home Productions of Bollywood Films, includes films like “De Dana Dan” (2010), “Garam Masala” (2005), “Dhadkan” (2000), “Baadshah” (1999), “Hungama” (2003), “Akele Hum Akele Tum” (1995), “Josh” (2000) & many more
- Its Co Productions with other producers & Presentations of films of other producers, includes films like “Ajnabee” (2001), “Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye” (2000), “Bandhan” (1998), “Aksar” (2006), “Rocky” (2006), “The Train” (2007), “Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya” (2001), & many more
- Overseas Rights of More than 90 films for territory of entire world excluding India,
- Satellite Rights of More than 115 films for territory entire world
- Internet Rights of More than 230 films
- for territory of entire world
- for territory of India
- Negative Rights of about 27 blockbuster and super hit films
Just A Glimpse of Music & Film Library Owned by Venus
1. Perpetual Music Rights Library
- ‘VENUS’ has built-up an envious and huge catalogue of Copyrights of Music of more than 700+ Hindi and Regional Movies and more than 3000 basic titles.
- This golden repertoire consists of the variety of Bollywood Movies Music, Regional, Pops, Classical, Ghazals, Qawalis, Devotionals, Instrumentals, Dialogues, Rhymes, Jokes etc.
a. Music Rights Owned – Film Music- Bollywood Movies
- Major releases in Bollywood Music segment, includes “Saajan” (1991), “Deewana” (1992), “Dhadkan” (2000), “Yesboss” (1997), “De Dana Dan” (2010), “Dilwale” (1994), “Qayamat” (2003). Many of these created new record sales in Indian Music Industry. Songs from these evergreen Bollywood albums are going great.
b. Music Rights Owned – Film Music- Indian Regional Languages Movies
- Bhojpuri – Sajanwa Bairi Bhaile Hamar, Pratigya,Vidhata,Deewana, Ego Chumma De Da Rajaji
- Tamil – Man Madan Ambu, Vaanam, Kaavalan, Siruthai, Seedan
- Marathi – Aashi Hi Banva Banvi, Palwa Palwi , Mala Gheyun Chala, Hamal De Dhamal
- Gujarati – Kanto Vagyo Kalje, Ame Ramakada Ramna, Baba Ramdev Peer, patkaar
- Rajasthani – Laadlo, Baba Ramsa Pir
- Punjabi – Nasibo, Simran, Mar Jawan Gur Khake,
- Bengali – Aamar Sanghi, Amar Tumhi, Mastaan, Mandira, Balidaan, Pratibad
- Oriya – Maa Pari Kia Heba
- Telugu – Naishtam, Man Madan Baanam, Mallika
- Malayalam – Varoo Varoo Doore
- Kannada – Shri Satya Sai Baba Mantra, Haratullu
c. Music Rights Owned – Non Film Music- Devotional Music in Hindi & Other Indian Regional Languages
- Venus devotional and spiritual repertoire has more than 2500 basic titles in devotional music, covering almost all of Indian deities, gods, saints etc. almost in all Indian languages like Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bhojpuri, Rajasthani, Bengali, Telugu, Oriya, Muslim Devotional and so on.
d. Music Rights Owned – Non Film Music- Other Genre Music in Hindi & Other Indian Regional Languages
- In Non-Films Music segment its achievement in selling highest ever number of more than 10m cassettes for title “Tum To Thahare Pardesi” of Altaf Raja, found entry in “Limca Books of World Records” and is a feather in Venus’s cap which is un-parallel till this date.
- Venus’s repertoire includes a precious treasure from eminent and immortal artists like Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Jagjit Singh, Pankaj Udhas, Anup Jalota, Hari Om Sharan, Hariharan, Asha Bhosle, Pt. Jasraj, Ustad Bismillah Khan, Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasya, Pt. Shivkumar Sharma, Zakir Hussain, Gulam Ali, Mehendi Hasan, Shridhar Phadke, Talat Aziz, Suresh Wadkar, Smt. Shobha Gurtu, Altaf Raja, Gurdas Maan and an endless list of most popular and super hit tracks.
2. Movies Rights Library
a. Movie Rights Owned – Movies Produced – Home Productions
- Venus’s dominant presence in film production is known by 30 Blockbuster and super hit home production movies on Indian Silver Screen to its credit. In all, ‘VENUS’ has produced following films as its home productions, till date.
- Films produced by ‘VENUS’ and buzzing as SUPER-HITS on Box-office were “Khiladi” (1991), “Baazigar” (1993), “Dhadkan” (2000), “Hungama” (2003), “Hulchul” (2004), “Garam Masala” (2005), “De Dana Dan” (2009)
- Similarly, List of HIT FILMS produced by ‘VENUS” include, “Main Khiladi Tu Anaadi” (1994), “Akele Hum Akele Tum” (1995), “Yes Boss” (1996), “Baadshah” (1999), “Josh”(2000), and “Humraaz” (2002), “Ajnabi” (2001), “Kahin Pyar Na Ho Jaye” (2000) “Aap Ki Khatir” (2006)
- Negative Rights of the above films also remains with VENUS.
- Till 2008, all the Movies Produced by us, were having a Production budget of Rs 20 Crores i.e. USD $ 4 millions. From 2009 onwards, Venus Scaled up its Production budget fromRs. 20 Crores to Rs. 50 Crores + i.e. USD $ 10 millions from De Dana Dan and Recently Tezz.
- Movies Currently Under Production & in Pipeline includes ‘Gang of Ghosts’, Dhadkan 2, etc.
b. Movie Rights owned – Overseas Rights in Movies
- ‘VENUS’ is holding Overseas Rights of 90+ Bollywood Films. The major releases in this segment are “Aetbaar“ (2004), “Garv“ (2004), “Dil Se“ (1998), “Deewana“ (1992), “Ye Hai Jalwa“ (2002), “Hulchul“ (2004), “ Main Khiladi Tu Anari “ (1994), and many others.
c. Movie Rights owned – Satellite Rights in Movies
- ‘VENUS’ has Satellite Rights of 100+ Bollywood Blockbuster Films. The major releases in this segment includes “Tezz” (2012), “De Dana Dan” (2009), “Garam Masala” (2005), “Humraaz” (2002), “Ajnabee” (2001), “Kahin Pyar Na Ho Jaye” (2000), “ Hisss” (2010) and many others.
d. Movie Rights owned – Internet Rights in Movies
- ‘Venus’ takes pride in the Internet Rights (Worldwide) of 230+ Bollywood Films which includes, “Tezz” (2012), “Garam Masala” (2005), “Baazigar” (1993), “Hungama” (2003), “Akele Hum Akele Tum” (1995), “Rascals” (2011), “Ajnabee” (2001) and many others
e. Movie Rights owned – Negative Rights in Movies
- Venus’s envious library has Negative Rights of 30 films, which includes “Suryavanshi” (1992), “Aar Ya Paar” (1997), “Humse Hai Muqabla” (1994), “Aggar” (1997), “Anamika” (2008), “Ittefaq” (2001), “Khauff” (2000) and many others.
Venus Associations in Bollywood & Hollywood
1. Association with Bollywood Best Actors, Actresses & Directors
- The renowned artistes of Bollywood like Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif, Madhuri Dixit, Raveena Tandon, Sunil Shetty, Paresh Rawal, Kajol, Manisha Koirala, Juhi Chawla, John Abraham, Shilpa Shetty, Aishwarya Rai, Priyanka Chopra, Ajay Devgn, Neha Dhupia, Kangna Ranaut, Mallika Sherawat, Lara Duttaand others were associated as actors/actresses in our Movies..
- Well-known Directors like Abbas Mustan, Mansoor Khan, Priyadarshan, Dharmesh Darshan, Aziz mirza and others have been associated as director in our Movies.
2. Association with Best Singers, Music Composers & Lyricists
- Well Known Singers Like Alka Yagnik, Kumar Sanu, Abhijeet, Udit Narayan, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Shaan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Rahat Fateh ali Khan, Mohit Chauhan, Shreya Ghoshal have the privilege to lend their voice in our Movies.
- Well Known Lyricists like Sameer, Javed Akhtar, Anand Bakshi, Faiz Anwar, Gulzar, amongst others, had the privilege to pen the lyrics in our Movies..
- Music Composers such as Nadeem-Shravan, Anu Malik, Himesh Reshamiya, Sajid – Wajid, and Pritam who are very well known in Film trade were also associated as Music Composers in our Movies..
3. Association with Hollywood & International Celebrities
- For Our Film Tezz, the action has been directed by Gareth Milne and Peter Pedrero, who has executed stunts for films like
- Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows,
- Quantum of Solace
- The Bourne Identity
- Similarly, the super hit song Paisa Paisa from the Film De Dana Dan featuring Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif, Music Composed by RDB of UK, and it has generated 3 million + downloads.
- Moreover, our film Hisss (our co-production) is directed by World fame Hollywood Director Jennifer Lynch. Other Hollywood Techniciansassociated with the film Hisss are Julian Lennon, Frank Perez & David Kushner(Music) & Tonu Ciccone (Editor) .
Our Films shot in Foreign Countries
- 70 % – 80 % of the film “De Dana Dan” was shot in the Beautiful landscape of Singapore.
- Almost entire film “TEZZ” was shot in the United Kingdom and some parts of Europe.
- 90% of Film “Aap Ki Khatir” was shot in London.
Strengths & Opportunities
1. Focus on Digital Initiatives – in India :
- Music Content Available to 800+ Million Mobile Subscribers on services like Caller tunes, WAP, 3G, Mobile Radio etc on leading Mobile Operators like Vodafone, Airtel, Reliance, Idea, BSNL, Tata Docomo, Aircel etc
- Now Rapidly increasing Penetration on Internet services like Streaming, Downloading etc targeted to 150+ million active users currently, which will be growing at a very fast pace, to reach at 500 million users by 2015.
- Strategic Partnerships with Best brands in India through Mobile Handset Manufacturers like NOKIA and SAMSUNG and E-commerce player Flipkart, etc..
2. Focus on Digital Initiatives – Abroad :
- Venus dedicated Channel on Youtube, is generating more than 130 Million Views.
- Digital Music Distribution Licenses to Players like You tube, Apple I tunes, Google Play, Amazon, E Music, Napster, Rhapsody, 24 x 7, Spotify, Deezer, Microsoft Zune, Omniphone, Nokia OVI store, Saavn, Dhingana.
- Exploitation of Venus Content on Mobile Platform from services like Caller tunes, WAP, etc now in 49 Mobile Operators of 21 different Countries.
- Exploitation of Venus Content on Internet Platform from services like Streaming, Downloading etc in 15 different Stores of 46 Countries.
- Recently Venus has tied up with a well known Punjabi music label for Punjabi Catalogue of 4000+ Songs for Mobile Exploitation.
- Launching www.vtunes.co.in, m.vtunes.co.in, and wap.vtunes.co.in, Unified Web, Wap & App Portal for download and stream of Venus Content, a B2C initiative.
3. Venus has consolidated its position and is now ready to take off
- Venus, the prominent Film and Audio / Video production house, is well known across length & breadth of the country
- Venus Music is one of the leading Music labels, and has maintained its position as one of the BIG FOUR Music labels in India, since its inception in 1985.
- It has integrated business model covering the entire value chain from Creation, Acquisition of Motion Pictures and Music to Distribution Worldwide.
- Venus, is one of the market leader in the Entertainment Industry.
4. Ready to take Off :
- Venus has changed its name to Venus Worldwide Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
- Venus has revamped its Brand Logo from to
- Production of Films, now incorporating Hollywood like expertise ( DDD,Tezz, Hisss etc)
- Constantly increasing Digital Exploitation of Venus Content in India and abroad.
- Venus Content is now served in 46 different Countries Worldwide.
- Strategic Partnerships with Major Global Players in Digital Music Distribution.
- Launching soon, Unified Web, Wap & App Portal for selling Venus Content Worldwide.